Luca has a light skin tone and grey eyes. One of his eyes is half-closed and purple, likely a bruise. He has messy brown hair in a small tail and a small tooth sticks out of his mouth. He wears a black and white striped prisoner's uniform, blue jeans, a brown belt, navy shin-guards and brown boots. Attached to his belt are various tools and toolholders, including a hammer, some wire, rope, a yellow screwdriver and a wrench, as well as another leather belt hanging from a silver ring. Around his neck is a silver chain and shackle and underneath it are bandages. There are also bandages on his arm. He wears cream gloves.
Luca is a decoder without any notable movement debuffs, and with a small electric stun ability, giving him higher survivability compared to other decoder characters. Luca also start a round with one electric stun ability.
Press "Expand" to see the character's statistics.
- Running Speed: 3.8 m/s
- Walking Speed: 2.11 m/s
- Crouch Walking Speed: 1.14 m/s
- Crawling Speed: 0.32 m/s
- Duration of decoding Cipher Machines (with a Connection): 73.64 sec
- Regressed decoding progress from electric shock: 1.0%
- Duration of inability to decode from electric shock: 1.4 sec
- Time spent opening Exit Gate: 18.0 sec
- Time spent dropping pallets: 0.73 sec
- Time spent vaulting over pallets at high speed: 1.17 sec
- Time spent vaulting over pallets at medium speed: 1.63 sec
- Time spent vaulting over pallets at low speed: 2.07 sec
- Time spent vaulting over windows at high speed: 0.87 sec
- Time spent vaulting over windows at low speed: 1.27 sec
- Time spent going through chests: 10.0 sec
- Time spent healing injured Survivors: 15.0 sec
- Time spent being healed by others: 15.0 sec
- Self-healing time after knockdown: 30.0 sec
- Duration of footprint: 4.0 sec
- Duration of speed boost after being hit: 2.0 sec
- Duration of struggle while being held up: 16.0 sec
- Rocket Chair countdown time: 60.0 sec
- Time spent being rescued from Rocket Chairs: 1.0 sec
Please press "Expand" to see the deduction path.
Character Backstory and Lore
- The Deduction Quests give fragments of backstory, and were compiled into a conclusion under Theories.
- As his diaries have not yet been released, His only confirmed teammate is the Mechanic.
- See the letters received from his birthday events for more insight.
Official Website Backstory
Luca Balsa used to be considered friendly and too trusting by most people. No one knows where he came from or has seen his family, but clearly, he's well educated. He has a tremendous sense of pride and he is curious about all sorts of scientific inventions.
And so it's no surprise that he became the assistant of the most famous inventor in town.
The great inventor thinks highly of Luca and a lot of people thought he would be the inventor's successor. Yet everything came to a halt because of an academic dispute. The great inventor claimed that Luca sold his research to a competitor behind his back, that Luca is an ungrateful traitor. Yet Luca said the great inventor is a thief who has run out of ideas.
No one knows what actually happened as the great inventor died in an accident in the laboratory, while Luca suffered irreversible brain damage and was accused of murder. Luca was sentenced to hang, but he was somehow pardoned at the last minute.
Yet there is no turning back for Luca. His memory becomes poor and he can't concentrate on his work. He can no longer conduct scientific researches and all of his savings went to the immense compensation for the inventor's wife.
Nevertheless, Luca is still determined to complete his initial invention, but this requires a lot of money. And so he decides to take a gamble on the invitation which promised him an enormous reward.
Official Trailer Transcription
"I can't remember how long I've been working this humble job. I can't seem to remember anything. But, I do have vague memories of that invention. As soon as I first saw it, I knew that I'd never be able to love anything else. You know, the glorious feeling of having an invention of your own is almost too good to be true.
But yet, why did he always oppose my ideas?
I never found the answer, not even when the electric current struck his brain. He's already dead, But, is there any way to prevent me from being next...?
I was acquitted with someone else's help after, but being spared from the noose was perhaps even worse as I was free but still unable to finish the great invention. Until, that letter miraculously appeared in my life;
I just know that it would undoubtedly restore it all and allow everything to continue."
|"Why don't you tell us about the stories you have read? Perhaps it would cheer everybody up."
Conclusion from Deductions
Luca was initially a nobleman until his father spent his and his wife's entire fortune on failed investments. This caused Luca's mother to "die of anger" while Luca couldn't forgive his father (for using up all their money on failed investments and possibly for causing his mother's death) and ran away from home. He eventually encountered Alva at an expo and, in exchange for giving Alva one of his family's manuscripts, became his student. Luca became focused on a certain invention while he was with Alva.
After many failed experiments in his laboratory, Alva claimed some of his manuscripts had gone missing, and he reported it as a theft to the police. It was believed that the stolen manuscripts ended up in a competitor's hands, and Alva blamed Luca as a traitor who had sold them, while Luca called Alva a thief who stole ideas from others as he had run out of his own. Soon after, Luca continued his own experiments. During one of Luca's experiments, a situation broke out between Alva and Luca (in Luca's trailer, Alva looks like he was attacking Luca) and an accident occurs, killing Alva and leaving Luca with amnesia. Luca was blamed for the accident and sent to prison.
Further ConclusionsLeft in prison with only an obsession to finish his greatest invention that he hardly remembered, he was acquitted from execution under mysterious circumstances. Additionally, he was released from prison by an unknown benefactor and was sent an invitation letter to the Oletus Manor.
|The Viper (Initial Release)||It's time we call the quits, be it this journey or the chill that's been harassing me my entire life. My guide would do anything to get me out of here, yet "she" forced me to make a choice - perform my pledge or remedy my destiny.||Season 10 Essence 2||N/A|
|Electrolysis||He made use of the delicate relationship between science and alchemy to complete the performance of "turning stone into gold", yet he has no idea that the real Philosopher's Stone is nothing but a glorified lie.||Season 13 Essence 1
|L||L's Costume||Death Note Crossover Essence (Global Exclusive)||N/A|
|Ray||Ray's Costume||The Promised Neverland Crossover Essence||N/A|
|"Hermit Crab"||When your body is destroyed, only a part of you is lost; when your spirit is broken, all of you is lost.||Season 17 Essence 3||N/A|
|Boidae||Perhaps all shadows love darkness; that's why I like sunset more than sunrise. I've seen the sixth sunset in this forest today. I hope that we... at least I... still have the chance to see the seventh.||Illusion Hall||318 Echoes/1188 Fragments|
|Month bound||The person who chased the god-moon eventually became the slave of the moon, and he had long forgotten why he came here. (obtained from the first time through the 2021 "Memorial to The Moon" event)||2021 Mid-Autumn Festival||N/A|
|Racing Mechanic||The Energy Corporation has taken resources from the snowy ruins and has infiltrated into each of the logistics departments. Yet he's one of the few exceptions.||Abyss Treasure (COA IV)||N/A|
|Mercè||The crowd takes to the street for the festivities, laughing and enjoying themselves.||Guild Store||1000 Guild Tokens|
|Silver Shell||Small, silver shellfish live beneath the gravel bed of the shallow sea. Unless prying their shell open, none would expect to find bright, red flesh hidden within.||Season 16 Essence 3
Memory Spheres - Previous Seasons
|Original||The original costume. Everything looks so natural.||Already Equipped||N/A|
|Worn Clothes||All the clothes are super tattered. Was it only a game they have been through?||Final deduction quest reward||N/A|
|Gray Coating||If you're lucky, touching it with your bare hands it will make you itch all over. If not, you might die.||Season 14 Logic Path Block 250||N/A|
|Moldy Bread||Is moldy bread edible? That's not a question for the people in prison.||Memory Spheres||N/A|
|Yellow Wall||In my days of imprisonment, all I do was stare at the walls.||Abyss Treasure (COA IV)||N/A|
|Art of Science||Destiny is an irreversible formula, and no exceptional science can determine its value.||Illusion Hall||788 Echoes/2988 Fragments|
|Handcuffs||Handcuffs that connect Light Yagami and L.||Death Note Crossover Essence (Global Exclusive)||N/A|
|L's Mic||The microphone used when L declared war on Kira.||Death Note Crossover Essence (Global Exclusive)||N/A|
|Ray's Book||A book which Ray often reads||The Promised Neverland Crossover Essence||N/A|
|Pets for survivors are non-exclusive and can be used by any character. A full list of Pets can be found here.|
|"Prisoner" - Astronomical Observation||Prisoner's Meteor-themed Dynamic Graffiti||Meteor Shower Event||N/A|
|"Prisoner" - Ray Graffiti||Ray's Graffiti||The Promised Neverland Crossover Essence||N/A|
|Dance||Dance Emote, exclusive to "Prisoner"||Unreleased||N/A|
|Shout||Shout Emote, exclusive to "Prisoner"||The Promised Neverland Crossover||N/A|
|Cheer||Cheer Motion, exclusive to "Prisoner"||Reaching Level 134||N/A|
|Standby Motions that almost every survivor can use can be found here. The following only contains exclusive or rare Standby Motions, which "Prisoner" currently does not have.|
- His profile from the Anniversary Tales Collection Booklet, obtained from the Second Anniversary Event:
- He lost everything when he immersed himself in Rashomon. Is all this really worth it?. [The "Prisoner" entered the Manor on March 26, 2020.]
- He was added to the game during Season 10, on March 25, 2020.
- Luca is currently the only survivor in which only one eye follows the blinking animation, instead of both or none, with the blackened eye remaining open forever.
- Curiously, in pre-release footage showcasing his abilities and design, both eyes are seen blinking.
- It is possible that he was based on or is at least partially referencing Nikola Tesla, an inventor with heavy contributions to progression in utilizing electricity.
- Alva is the name of the inventor Luca was apprenticed under, as well as the middle name of Thomas Edison. Tesla worked under Edison for a short time before the two became rivals.
- Luca may be ambidextrous. He is shown in official media for the series, as well as in personal animations in the game itself, constantly switching which hand he uses as his dominant hand for tasks.
- This may also be a reference to Nikola Tesla: he was also ambidextrous.
- Luca's birthday is on July 10th.
- This is another similarity that Luca shares with Tesla, who was born on the same day in 1856.
- Luca has an interest in piano and writing. He likes books, music and scientific experiments.
- Deduction Star 2020 quotes:
- "I may be in a prison uniform, but I'm not imprisoned."
- "It's no easy task connecting the circuits, but it's what I do best!"
- "When will I create my great invention?"
- Deduction Star 2021 quotes:
- "It's ironic. I should thank my teacher for instilling me with these principles."
- "There's no fairness in this world, only wins and losses."
- "Life is too short and regrets are more terrifying than failures. That's why I'd rather give it a try."
- Backstory from official website - https://idv.163.com/character/index.html
- Transcribed and edited from official English introduction video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-9PxQmVLE
|Season 2 - Season 4|
|Season 5 - Season 6|
|Season 7 - Season 9|
|Season 10 - Season 14|
|Season 15 - Season 17|
|Season 2 - Season 4|
|Season 5 - Season 6|
|Season 7 - Season 9|
|Season 10 - Season 14|
|Season 15 - Season 17|
|MAIN STORY CHARACTERS|
|Little Girl||James Reichenbach||Dennis DeRoss|
|Graveyard Girl||Stranger 1||Stranger B|