Joseph Desaulniers, also known as the Photographer, is a hunter available for purchase after completion of the prologue. He is one of the 21 playable Hunters added to Identity V.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 Character Background
- 4 Appearance Decoration
- 5 Behavior
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
Joseph has white hair fashioned into a low ponytail with a gold ribbon. His skin is pale and his eyes are completely blue.
Joseph is dressed in a style explicitly of 18th century aristocracy. He wears a purple waistcoat, coat, and breeches; the breeches are secured to black stockings with a gold band. The waistcoat and coat are embellished with gold embroidery along the front, and embroidery in the back. The cuffs of the sleeves are similarly decorated, and peaking out under them are white ruffles. He also wears a gold jabot around his neck and dark teal heeled shoes with golden buckles.
Joseph is a slightly complex hunter to play that specializes in slowing down decoding across the entire map, and keeping survivors injured. His movement speed is slightly below average, but he has a fast attack recovery and a unique hitbox that covers almost 180º in front of him. He is able to set up a Camera World, where Cipher progress is paused and replicas of Survivors are generated and frozen in place. When a Camera World ends, half of the damage to replicated survivors is transferred to their real counterpart, and each Cipher Machine has the progress between the real and replica averaged out (often greatly decreasing progess).
For more details and tips on how his traits and abilities work, please see their individual pages.
Please press "Expand" to see tips.
Recommended Traits and Talents
- Confined Space is helpful in helping Photographer corner survivors, especially since it is on the same line as Destructiveness which breaks pallets faster.
- Berserker can be used to maximize his already fast attack recovery speed.
- Claustrophobia would be able to potentially reset exit gates' progress if the camera world is active, making it a trait worth bringing if the match is expected to progress to end-game.
- Common chosen traits are Blink and Teleport which both help him get places more quickly.
Press "Expand" to see the character's statistics.
Movements and Interactions:
- Model volume: Radius 0.38 m
- Movement Speed: 4.64 m/sec
- Turning speed: 800.0 degree(s)/s
- Duration of vaulting over windows: 1.6 sec
- Duration of destroying pallets: 1.92 sec
- Duration of being stunned: 3.94 sec
- Launching action for normal attack: 0.6 sec
- Effective range of normal attack: 3.46 m
- Duration of recovery action from missed normal attacks: 0.58 sec
- Duration of recovery action from normal attack hits: 2.58 sec
- Launching action for charged attack: 0.98 sec
- Effective range of charged attack: 3.63 m
- Duration of recovery action from missed charged attacks: 0.78 sec
- Duration of recovery action from charged attack hits: 2.78 sec
- Duration of ballooning: 1.8 sec
- Duration of being stunned after Survivors escaped: 5.92 sec
- Launching action for ballooning: 0.59 sec
- Effective range of ballooning: 2.78 m
- Fear radius: 32.07 m
- Duration of recovery action from hitting scene objects: 1.33 sec
Please press "Expand" to see the deduction path.
Character Backstory and Lore
- The Deduction Quests give fragments of backstory, and were compiled into a conclusion under Theories.
- It has not yet been revealed which canonical manor game he participated in as the Hunter.
- See the letters received from his Character Day events for more insight.
Official Website Backstory
Joseph was forced to leave France and move to England with his parents. The pain of losing his twin brother caused Joseph to become absorbed with art. He hoped to save the live images of those people and objects to liven up his pictures. Joseph has become obsessed with parapsychology and hopes to make some interesting modifications to his camera. He started to tell his closest friends that he had found a way to capture souls in pictures. No one took him seriously, but then they started to notice that everyone whose picture was taken by Joseph disappeared one after another. When a panic-stricken mob forced their way into Joseph's residence, Joseph was nowhere to be seen. On the wall of his studio, however, were all kinds of lifelike portraits of people that seemed to be looking right at them.
|"Why don't you tell us about the stories you have read? Perhaps it would cheer everybody up."
Claude and Joseph were twin brothers and children of nobility, and were very close to each other. The Desaulniers family lived happily until tragedy struck - the working class could no longer bear to suffer for the rich; a revolution had begun in France. Claude and his family fled France, but on the way to their new home, Claude contracted a disease and passed away before the journey had reached its end. Unable to overcome the grief of his twin brother's death, Joseph became fascinated and then obsessed with saving the memory of Claude, most notably within the photographs of when their family was alive and happy. As he became older he began to experiment with the occult in relation to photographs, testing if he could save people within them, and perhaps live in one himself in order to be with his twin. After many years Joseph was able to trap real people within his photographs, but as more people went missing from a nearby town a mob invaded his house. Joseph DeSaulniers himself, however, was missing and could not be found, though the servants claim he still haunted his mansion.
- The deductions and letters for Joseph both clarify that he had reached old age in his lifetime before entering the camera world. Many theorize he reached 60 years of age, but the exact number is unconfirmed.
- It seems he feared death, and as he became older it is likely this affected how obsessed he was with his experiments.
- Since Joseph seems to have been successful in going inside the world of photos, and was trying to go back to a time when his brother was still alive, that is likely why he appears as his younger self. It may also be why his in-game model is colored in the Camera World, while black and white in the real one.
- It is clarified that he didn't used to be as obsessed with photos as he was later on, and rather it was someone else who spurred on his obsession and perhaps helping him continue his experiments.
|Azrael (Initial Release)||He fell from the heavens and brought with him the first falling leaf of the season.||Illusion Hall||2888 Echoes
|Judge||Justice? Fairness? These are only worth considering when one isn't bound by shackles.||Season 13 Essence 2||N/A|
|Apollo||Only I can give you sunshine and hope, and only I can take them away.||Season 6 Essence 1
|Bloody Sword||Acts in the dark in order to seize the Tome's power. He saw the end of the castle through the mirror. But when The Embrace appeared so unexpectedly, he was powerless to do anything. Nevertheless, he was not going to let go of his prey.||Season 9 Essence 1
|D. M (Third Anniversary)||Beware not to lose yourself in his so-called "sincerity"!||Third Anniversary Package||$75 - $119+ (Package price, costume not sold individually)|
|En Ligne||Are you ready to pierce the illusion?||Season 12 Essence 2
|Moonlight Gentleman||The moonlight in dreams is gentle and affectionate, but no one tries to dance with him.||Season 3 Essence 3
|"Ambassador"||Your Highness, the last lesson you should learn is that kind people are actually more greedy.||Season 11 Essence 3
|Auctioneer||He never thought that Pickman, who was ridiculed as a copycat, could utilise his imitation skills so well on things from the Nether. As a maniac admirer, the Auctioneer decided to spread the Netherwalker's work, so that the world would come to know of the Abyss' glamour and novelty.||Abyss Treasure (COA III)||N/A|
|Count||Don't bother his Lordship, unless you want to be hung on the wall for eternity.||Season 7 Essence 1
|"Enigma"||"Do you know how to kill a dragon? Sever its head amid raging flames and then embed it into the oldest wall." The dragon-slaying knight spoke softly into the light of the fire, the child in his arms resting on his shoulder. Looking at the scaly tail behind him, the child nodded in blissful ignorance.||Mélodis Estate Investigation||N/A|
|Hypnotist||Medical Position: Hypnotist
Memo: Collecting vulnerable and distorted images of patients through hypnosis. Only Rorschach will have unnecessary sympathy for the patients... It's better that he goes and accompany those poor fellas!
|Season 6 Essence 2
|Iris||Despite the limited success of the desert exploration, at least it proved that the notebook was valuable. I recruited a better team by offering better remuneration. On the first day of our forest exploration, they showed me what I have bargained for.||Season 10 Essence 2
|"Lies"||Darling, every promise I make comes from my heart - if I had a heart.||Season 5 Essence 2
|Macbeth (Theater Event)||The night is long that never finds the day. - Macbeth||Event Store||100 Spy Glasses|
|The Client (Second Anniversary)||Question 1 - the joy of a hunter, does it stem from the chase or the prey?||Atropos' Ropes event||N/A|
|Original||The original costume. Everything looks so natural.||Already Equipped||N/A|
|Worn Clothes||All the clothes are super tattered. Was it only a game they have been through?||Final deduction quest reward||N/A|
|Bloody Shadow||A moment of joy can sometimes be like deadly poison, but who can refuse this romance?||Season 4 Logic Path Block 1258||N/A|
|Shadow in Pond||The visitor's face is reflected on the quiet surface of water, hiding the coldness of the pond.||Season 11 Logic Path Block 502||N/A|
|Sunset||Why don't those who wander the roads stop to enjoy the last moments of the sunrise as the sky dims and the twilight falls?||Reaching Level 47||N/A|
|Deadly Invitation||Beware of the irresistible invitation-- it's a dangerous banquet filled with traps. Click, click. You may become his collectible in an instant.||Season 13 Rank Treasure
|"Mercy" (Third Anniversary)||Third Anniversary Package||$75 - $119+ (Package price, costume not sold individually)|
|Astral Device||Your future destiny is something which you foresaw long ago, but cannot avoid.||Illusion Hall||1068 Echoes
|Tenderness (Valentine's Day)||Lovers who cannot meet each other are connected through this quill pen and eventually become a symbol of love.||Illusion Hall||1068 Echoes
|Snowman (Snow Festival)||Snow can't be preserved forever.||Event Store||80 Spyglasses|
|Commission Letter (Second Anniversary)||Golden Rose Theater Event Dynamic Graffiti||Log in during Second Anniversary event||N/A|
|Auctioneer||Photographer's Graffiti, Auctioneer||Abyss Treasure (COA III)||N/A|
|Drinking Soup||Drinking Soup emote, exclusive to Photographer||April's Story event||3 unique fish|
|Salute||Salute Motion, exclusive to Photographer||Memory Spheres||N/A|
|Threaten||Threaten Motion, exclusive to Photographer||Memory Spheres||N/A|
|Troubled||Troubled Motion, exclusive to Photographer||Event Store||50 Spy Glasses|
|Demonstrate||Photographer's motion in matching room, Demonstrate||Memory Spheres||N/A|
|Sneer||Photographer's Standby Motion - Sneer||Memory Spheres||N/A|
|Snooze||Photographer's Exclusive Matching Room Motion - Snooze||Memory Spheres||N/A|
|Visit||Photographer's Exclusive Matching Room Motion - Visit (visible to Survivors)||Memory Spheres||N/A|
- His profile from the Anniversary Tales Collection Booklet, obtained from the Second Anniversary Event:
- Don't be fooled by his elegance, or you might become an item in his collection in a split second. [The Photographer entered the Manor on November 1, 2018.]
- The camera which Joseph most likely uses (and was the first working camera type) is from 1837, which uses a process called "daguerreotype." 
- Joseph is based on Joseph Nicéphore Niépce , a French inventor credited with creating photography. The first permanent photograph of a camera image was made by him in 1825, but he died in 1833 - before the first consistently working camera was created by his friend Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre .
- He is also heavily inspired by Dorian Gray, the main character from the gothic novel by Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray - Dorian sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty, while his portrait ages and withers away in his stead, similarly to how Joseph has two contrasting forms. 
- Joseph, Yidhra and Percy are the only hunters unavailable in the Violent Struggle (Duo Hunters) mode.
- He is of French descent, born into a family of French aristocrats.
- The name Joseph is of Hebrew origin and it means "He will add". It is the name of several biblical characters, and one of the most common European names.
- He can jump between camera world and reality and attack at the same time, allowing for terror shocks.
- He is left-handed.
- He is one of the few hunters whose full name is known, along with Leo Beck, Bane Perez, Xie Bi'an & Fan Wujiu, Burke Lapadura, Robbie White, Guard 26 and Galatea Claude.
- He appears in all three episodes of the stage play series produced in Japan. He is one of the featured characters of the first episode, alongside Aesop Carl. He was played by Igarashi Keisuke. His Moonlight Gentleman alternate costume appears in the comedy special performances of all episodes.
- Deduction Star 2020:
- "Take a photo and I can have its most beautiful disposition."
- "Photos can make memorable things last forever."
- "Can I take a photo of you, beautiful lady?"
- Deduction Star 2021:
- "No one can say for sure whether it's the actor or the audience who's entered the story."
- "Union isn't the beginning, and separation isn't the end."
- "Truths and lies, reality and imagination - it's all the same on stage and off."
- Official website character backstories - https://idv.163.com/character/index.html
- According to the official Identity V Artbook, Joseph's age is unknown - .
- "I also found out that he wasn't this crazy in the past. Things took a turn when he came back from a journey to somewhere far away. No one knows what happened during the trip, save that he brought back with him a number of mysterious books." - Macauley from Joseph's Letter 2021.