The White and Black Guards had their souls imbued into an umbrella where they are bound together, forever.
Xie Bi'an and Fan Wujiu, also known as White Guard/Black Guard or (collectively) Wu Chang, is a hunter available for purchase after completion of the prologue. They are one of the 18 playable hunters added to Identity V.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Backstory
- 3 Gameplay
- 4 Deduction Targets
- 5 Appearance Decoration
- 6 Behavior
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
Xie is deathly pale and is very slender. He has a large black mark that covers most of the left side of his face. He has a pair of violet eyes. Xie has distinctively long black and white hair that is tied into a braided ponytail. He dons a black, blue, and white coat that is decorated with a golden trim. He also wears a pair of black pants and a pair of black boots. A Feng Shui compass is attached to his waist.
Fan's skin tone and build is the same as Xie's, however, he has a bigger patch of black on his face and his hair is primarily black with white streaks in his hair instead of primarily white. His hairstyle is also tied into a braided ponytail. Fan has a pair of yellow eyes. He dons a black, white, and red coat that is decorated with a golden trim. He also wears a pair of black pants and a pair of black boots. A large, jagged, black handheld bell is attached to his waist.
Black and White Guard are sworn brothers. While Black Guard was straight-forward and stubborn, White Guard was modest and gentle.
On one day, the two men went to Nantai Bridge. Shortly after their arrival it begun raining. White Guard let Black Guard stay in the rain under the bridge, returning home to get an umbrella. Unexpectedly, after White left, the rain had become heavier, the river was roaring, and Black did not want to leave before White returned, and stayed under the bridge. Soon, White Guard rushed back with the umbrella. He saw that Black Guard had not crossed the bridge, and that he had disappeared. Black Guard had drowned.
White Guard was so grieved that he had no choice but to live without his dear friend Black Guard. No matter whether it was rain or shine, he carried the same umbrella he had the day Black Guard drowned with him. White's demeanor had changed since that day, becoming more angry and irritable. He eventually returned under the Nantai Bridge and left the black umbrella where his brother in arms had stayed, and White Guard himself disappeared.
The umbrella was found by a merchant and placed in the center of a hallway. Since then, the merchant's family has had strange things happen to them. The black umbrella in the room was often unsupervised. In the middle of the night, the sounds of men sighing fill the hall. It was believed that White Guard's soul was in the umbrella. The merchant invited a Taoist to get rid of the umbrella by raising a spell on the town. Since then, the house has been calm and quiet. Soon after, the merchants headed out, but on their way, they found that the government was in chaos, and that the umbrella was missing.
- Dual Soul: The White and Black Guards had their souls imbued into an umbrella and their souls can be switched by using Summon. The White Guard excels at patrol and pursuit and moves swiftly but has slow stun recovery and attack speed; the Black Guard excels at melee combat and has fast stun recovery and attack speed, but moves slowly.
- Infinite Nirvana: Throws the Umbrella at the target location, where it will stay for 5 seconds. Outlines of Survivors in the area covered by the Umbrella will be shown, with their movement speed and vaulting speed slightly decreased, and other interaction speeds significantly decreased. Outlines of these Survivors will still be shown for 5 seconds after they move outside the area. For the duration where the Umbrella is active, Wu Chang can choose to teleport to where the Umbrella is and switch to Dual Soul mode, or retrieve the Umbrella to recover skill countdown. Without the Umbrella, Wu Chang's movement speed and window vaulting speed is increased. The Umbrella will return to Wu Chang when the 5 seconds are up.
- Summon: Use the skill to summon the Black Guard to your location or hold down the skill button to charge up and toss the soul umbrella forward and summon the Black Guard where the umbrella lands. The longer you charge the skill the further you can toss the umbrella.
- Siphon Soul & Wavering Soul: The White Guard's body moves with ease, and when it fully enters the spiritual realm it won't be able to interact with anything for 35s. However, its movement speed is greatly increased and it will siphon the souls of nearby survivors. If it manages to fully siphon a survivor's soul, their soul will be lost and they will become stunned, and unable to interact with the environment. When the Black Guard rings the bell and casts Wavering Soul, all survivors that hear the ringing have to steel their resolve and calibrate with precision. Should they fail the calibration, they will become horrified for 60s; if they fail another calibration during that time, their soul will waver and their movement directions will be reversed.
- Summon - Enhanced: Reduces the time it takes to switch souls in Dual Soul mode and you will immediately perform an powerful Siphon Soul or Wavering Soul upon switching.
All completed objectives reward the player with +335 Logic points for the Logic Path.
Please press "Expand" to see the deduction path.
|Friend: How is it that such familiarity is felt at first sight?
||Two boards tied together at the waist: the names of two government runners were vaguely visible, Fan Wujiu and Xie Bi'an.|
|Worry: Criminal! The guilty should be punished!
||An indictment: The local governor has filed a lawsuit against the government officers for injuring his only son at a tavern.|
|Strong Wind: Why has it come to this?
||Chivalry does not always bring praise.|
|Sudden Downpour: What use is an undeserved reputation?
||"Who started the fight? You or Xie Bi'an?"|
|Misfortune: Haven't you overestimated yourself?
||A secret letter: The local governor has asked the county government to resolve this issue within ten days.|
|A Reason: Cannot give up...
||First confession: Xie Bi'an confessed to assault at the tavern and that no one else was involved.|
|An Excuse: Cannot stay...
||Second confession: Fan Wujiu confessed to assault at the tavern and that no one else was involved.|
|Restlessness: Hope is not always present when confronted with a hopeless situation.
||Letter of appointment: Xie Bi'an and Fan Wujiu have been appointed to apprehend the fugitive together.|
|No one is blameless: If it's not from above, there will be punishment.
||A letter: Fan Wujiu tells Xie Bi'an to meet him at Nantai Bridge to discuss the "assault".|
|Rain or Shine: Is that right? Or wrong...
||Using his record in the apprehension of fugitives, Xie Bi'an earned himself a chance to choose the "truth". He chose to become the only "guilty party".|
|No return to Nantai: Who is the one who broke their promise?
||Fan Wujiu knows that the governor doesn't want the truth. He wants somebody to pay the price.|
|It's Still Raining: Goodbye. Will we not meet again in this lifetime?
||A final verdict: The government officer, Fan Wujiu was accused of assault at the tavern, but before the details of the case could be ascertained, he drowned under Nantai Bridge during a rainstorm. The case of assault has therefore been concluded.|
After deducing Objective 10: It's Still Raining, Wu Chang's Worn Clothes costume will be unlocked.
- Broken Blossoms (Deduction Star)
- Flying Guillotine
- The Intersection Bishounen (Junji Ito Crossover)
Non-exclusive accessories that can be worn by any hunter can be found here.
Note: This only lists exclusive graffiti. Basic graffiti that can be used by any character can be found here.
- Wu Chang - Cartoon Bell
- Gray Shadow
- Wu Chang White Guard - Deduction Star
- Wu Chang Black Guard - Deduction Star
- Wu Chang is based on Heibai Wuchang, a deity in Chinese folk religion.